"Happy the people whose annals are blank in the history books!"
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- Turkey clamps down on Syria border Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:07:57 GMT
- Turkey closes most of its border crossings with Syria after the arrival of at least 130,000 Kurd refugees, as IS militants approach a key Syrian town.
- Ukraine to pull back artillery Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:01:32 GMT
- Ukraine is preparing to withdraw heavy weaponry away from separatist rebel lines in the east, the military says.
- Rockefellers to divest fossil fuels Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:26:15 GMT
- The Rockefeller family, which made its fortune from oil, is to join an initiative divesting from fossil fuels, and putting money into clean energy.
- Tesco probe into £250m profit error Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:54 GMT
- Tesco suspends "a number of people", including four executives, as it launches an inquiry into why its half-year profit forecast was overstated by £250m ($400m).
- Thousands of HK students at boycott Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:47:25 GMT
- Hong Kong students begin a week-long boycott of classes to protest against China's stance on electoral reform in the territory.
- Cosmic study 'underestimated' dust Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:04:26 GMT
- Scientists who claimed to have found evidence for a cosmic super-expansion just after the Big Bang underestimated a key confounding factor in their research, according to a new analysis.
- Abbott: Security before some freedom Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:18:22 GMT
- Australian PM says the "delicate balance" between freedom and security may shift as he seeks powers to tackle Islamists, after terror raids last week.
- S Leone hails lockdown 'success' Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:10:41 GMT
- Authorities in Sierra Leone say a three-day curfew aimed at containing the Ebola outbreak has been a success and will not be extended.
- Mars Maven mission arrives in orbit Mon, 22 Sep 2014 02:32:34 GMT
- The US space agency's (Nasa) latest Mars satellite arrives successfully in orbit above the planet, in a mission to study its high atmosphere.
- Russia plans for internet crisis Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:11:40 GMT
- Russia is making plans to ensure state control over the country's internet traffic in a national emergency, Russian media report.
- Pakistan appoints new spy chief Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:48:26 GMT
- Pakistan names a close ally of the army chief to head the country's feared Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) spy agency.
- Afghan soldiers missing from US base Mon, 22 Sep 2014 06:26:04 GMT
- Three Afghan soldiers participating in a joint exercise at an American base in Massachusetts are reported to be missing.
- VIDEO: Climate change in global spotlight Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:36:18 GMT
- Street protests demanding urgent action on climate change have attracted hundreds of thousands of marchers in more than 2,000 locations worldwide.
- VIDEO: Jude Law: "DRC gone off the radar" Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:19:43 GMT
- During a trip to the troubled region of Eastern DRC, British actor Jude Law called for more international attention to be given to the country.
- VIDEO: Singing the Western Sahara blues Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:01:50 GMT
- Aziza Brahim, a singer from the disputed territory of Western Sahara, uses haunting melodies to draw attention to the plight of her people.