"The only words that ever satisfied me as describing Nature are the terms used in fairy books, charm, spell, enchantment. They express the arbitrariness of the fact and its mystery."
—Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) British writer, critic
- Iraq forces push against jihadists Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:31:46 GMT
- Iraqi Shia and Kurdish forces capture an Islamic State stronghold, as a BBC team enters Amerli the day after a two-month siege ends.
- Ukraine in 'great war' with Russia Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:31:18 GMT
- Russia has launched a 'great war' that could claim tens of thousands of lives, Ukraine's defence ministry warns amid rebel offensive.
- FBI probes 'Cloud' celebrity leaks Tue, 02 Sep 2014 01:38:25 GMT
- The FBI looks into allegations that the online accounts of celebrities have been hacked, leading to intimate pictures being posted online.
- British activist in Thailand trial Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:10:53 GMT
- A British activist who campaigns for better labour conditions is set to go on trial in Thailand charged with criminal defamation.
- Falcao caps record summer spending Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:22:59 GMT
- Radamel Falcao's loan move to Manchester United was the major deadline day signing as summer spending hits a record £835m.
- US attacks al-Shabab in Somalia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 04:01:03 GMT
- The US military says it carried out a military operation against al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants in Somalia.
- US works to free trio in N Korea Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:50:51 GMT
- The White House says securing the release of three American citizens detained in North Korea is a "top priority", after they appealed for help.
- Pakistan MPs hold emergency session Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:52:04 GMT
- A joint session of parliament is to be held in Pakistan as PM Nawaz Sharif seeks to gain support against protesters calling for his resignation.
- China accuses MPs of 'interference' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:38:45 GMT
- Chinese authorities accuse British MPs of interfering in Hong Kong's affairs by investigating tensions there, BBC Newsnight learns.
- PM outlines new anti-terror plans Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:03:37 GMT
- New powers are needed to seize the passports of terrorist suspects and stop British jihadists from returning to the UK, David Cameron says.
- Boris Island airport plan 'rejected' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:13:56 GMT
- A plan for an island airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", looks set to be shelved, the BBC understands.
- Spain returns Colombian treasure Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:08:27 GMT
- Spain returns to Colombia hundreds of indigenous artefacts that were seized from drug gangs in 2003, but later smuggled out of the country.
- VIDEO: Footage of powerful solar flares Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:44:43 GMT
- The US Space Agency Nasa has released new footage showing a series of powerful solar flares.
- VIDEO: Embracing animation in Africa Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:57:20 GMT
- There are already animation studios in Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa, but only a very limited number of good schools teach art and animation techniques on the African continent.
- VIDEO: Could Horseball gain Olympic glory? Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:33:38 GMT
- Horseball, a mix of rugby and basketball, was invented in France in the 1970s, and now there are attempts to get it into the Olympics, as the BBC's Ollie Williams reports.