"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- Scotland votes no to independence Fri, 19 Sep 2014 05:36:56 GMT
- Scotland votes to stay in the United Kingdom after rejecting independence.
- Obama hails Congress vote on Syria Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:48:52 GMT
- President Obama says Congress's backing for his $500m plan to aid moderate Syrian rebels shows that the US is united against Islamic State.
- Ebola 'threat to world security' Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:10:52 GMT
- The UN Security Council declares the Ebola outbreak in West Africa a threat to international peace and security.
- Australia boosts parliament security Fri, 19 Sep 2014 03:44:28 GMT
- Security is being upgraded at the Australian parliament following "chatter" suggesting extremists could target it for attack, PM Tony Abbott says.
- Eight dead in Florida house shooting Fri, 19 Sep 2014 05:36:07 GMT
- A grandfather shot dead his daughter and her six children before taking his own life at a home in Bell, Florida, police say.
- Video of British hostage released Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:00:17 GMT
- A new video is released showing a British man, identified as journalist John Cantlie, believed to be held hostage by Islamic State militants.
- Obama praises 'excellent' Poroshenko Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:53:57 GMT
- President Barack Obama has given his support to the visiting Petro Poroshenko, describing himself as a "strong friend" to Ukraine's leader.
- Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps down Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:14:29 GMT
- Multi-billionaire Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps aside to focus on product engineering, as Mark Hurd and Safra Catz are named as co-chief executives.
- Ebola team 'found dead in Guinea' Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:26:15 GMT
- Officials in Guinea say they have found the bodies of several people thought to be part of a team of health workers and journalists who went missing earlier this week.
- Alibaba sets share price at $68 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:52:57 GMT
- Chinese online giant Alibaba prices its shares $68 ahead of the start of trading on Friday, making it one of the biggest stock market listings ever.
- China tennis star Li Na to retire Fri, 19 Sep 2014 04:26:44 GMT
- China's sporting hero Li Na announces her retirement from tennis at the age of 32, citing injury problems.
- VIDEO: 'Home of golf' accepts women members Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:16:05 GMT
- The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St Andrews has voted to accept women members for the first time in its history.
- VIDEO: London hosts Turner and Constable shows Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:02:19 GMT
- Rivals in life, two of Britain's greatest painters William Turner and John Constable, are the subjects of major exhibitions in London.
- VIDEO: TV forecaster breaks endurance record Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:47:47 GMT
- Eli Kari Gjengedal has broken the world record for continuous weather presenting, with 33 hours on screen.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:16:21 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.