"Critics are by no means the end of the law. Do not think all is over with you because you articles are rejected. It may be that the editor has his drawer full, or that he does not know enough to appreciate you, or you have not gained a reputation, or he is not in a mood to be pleased. A critic's judgment is like that of any intelligent person. If he has experience, he is capable of judging whether a book will sell. That is all."
—Lavina Goodell Junior editor, Harper's Bazaar
- Ukraine near 'point of no return' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:19:51 GMT
- Ukraine's president says his country is "close to a point of no return - full scale-war", as the EU discusses more sanctions against Russia.
- Pakistan protesters in police clash Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:31:57 GMT
- Police in Islamabad fire tear gas at anti-government protesters marching on the official residence of Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- 'Slow progress' in Iraq Amerli push Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:52:08 GMT
- The Iraqi army, Shia militias and Kurdish fighters are reported to be making slow progress in breaking the siege of the Amerli town in the north.
- Iran anger over new US sanctions Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:20:31 GMT
- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani criticises new US sanctions, saying they will harm negotiations over his country's nuclear programme.
- Lesotho PM flees 'military coup' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:53:50 GMT
- Lesotho's prime minister crosses into South Africa, accusing Lesotho's army of staging a coup and telling the BBC his life is in danger.
- El Salvador gangs re-launch truce Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:45:45 GMT
- Leaders of five of El Salvador's powerful gangs say they will stop attacking police and military in a bid to re-launch a gang truce agreed two years ago.
- Philippine Syria troops 'attacked' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:58:49 GMT
- A group of Philippine peacekeepers trapped by rebels in the Syrian Golan Heights are "under attack", the Philippine defence minister says.
- Man charged over Galloway assault Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:40:37 GMT
- A man is charged with religiously-aggravated assault after MP George Galloway was attacked in a west London street.
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:38:45 GMT
- Some 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group begin leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
- PM warns of terror threat to Europe Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:20:14 GMT
- The terrorist threat posed by Islamist extremists is as much a concern for countries in mainland Europe as it is for the UK, David Cameron says.
- 'Forgotten' Swiss baby dies in car Sat, 30 Aug 2014 13:39:47 GMT
- A 16-month-old baby in Switzerland dies after one of its parents went to work forgetting that the child had been left in the car.
- First openly gay NFL player dropped Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:03:24 GMT
- Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted into the National Football League, fails to make the final roster for the St Louis Rams.
- VIDEO: Long queues to leave Mariupol Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:01:47 GMT
- The Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is in Brussels to discuss the ongoing crisis in his country with EU leaders.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.