"...A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."
—John Milton (1608-74) English poet, scholar, Paradise Lost
- Iraq forces push against jihadists Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:42:00 GMT
- Iraqi Shia and Kurdish forces capture an Islamic State stronghold, as a BBC team enters Amerli the day after a two-month siege ends.
- Ukraine hit by military setbacks Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:48:26 GMT
- Ukraine suffers a series of military setbacks, as hundreds of troops are taken prisoner and its forces withdraw from a key airport.
- 'Cloud' concerns after celeb leaks Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:35:06 GMT
- Experts have raised concerns over the security of "cloud" storage sites following the leak of intimate pictures of celebrities.
- US works to free trio in N Korea Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:31:51 GMT
- The White House says securing the release of three American citizens detained in North Korea is a "top priority", after they appealed for help.
- PM outlines new anti-terror plans Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:03:37 GMT
- New powers are needed to seize the passports of terrorist suspects and stop British jihadists from returning to the UK, David Cameron says.
- Iran clerics 'must accept internet' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:02:46 GMT
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani urges Iran's clerics to be more tolerant of the internet and new technologies after recent criticism from hardliners.
- Nigeria militants 'suffer losses' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:59:35 GMT
- The Nigerian army claims to have repelled an attack by Islamist militants Boko Haram on the town of Bama in the country's north-east.
- China accuses MPs of 'interference' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:38:45 GMT
- Chinese authorities accuse British MPs of interfering in Hong Kong's affairs by investigating tensions there, BBC Newsnight learns.
- Ferguson police wear body cameras Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:35:18 GMT
- Police in Ferguson, Missouri, are now using body cameras, three weeks after a white officer shot and killed an unarmed black teenager leading to weeks of violent unrest.
- Spain returns Colombian treasure Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:08:27 GMT
- Spain returns to Colombia 691 smuggled indigenous artefacts, seized from drug gangs in a police operation in 2003.
- Boris Island airport plan 'rejected' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:13:56 GMT
- A plan for an island airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", looks set to be shelved, the BBC understands.
- Arsenal agree £16m fee for Welbeck Mon, 01 Sep 2014 20:59:20 GMT
- Arsenal agree a £16m fee with Manchester United to sign England international striker Danny Welbeck.
- VIDEO: Footage of powerful solar flares Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:44:43 GMT
- The US Space Agency Nasa has released new footage showing a series of powerful solar flares.
- VIDEO: Embracing animation in Africa Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:57:20 GMT
- There are already animation studios in Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa, but only a very limited number of good schools teach art and animation techniques on the African continent.
- VIDEO: Could Horseball gain Olympic glory? Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:33:38 GMT
- Horseball, a mix of rugby and basketball, was invented in France in the 1970s, and now there are attempts to get it into the Olympics, as the BBC's Ollie Williams reports.