"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket."
- Freed Khodorkovsky flies to Germany Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:07:12 GMT
- Russian ex-tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky arrives in Germany, hours after being pardoned by President Putin, German officials say.
- Uganda enacts life in jail for gays Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:47:29 GMT
- Uganda's parliament passes a bill to toughen the punishment for homosexual acts to include life imprisonment and force people to report gay activities.
- 'Lucky' more not hurt in collapse Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:47:28 GMT
- It is lucky more people were not injured when part of a ceiling collapsed at a packed theatre, London Fire Brigade says.
- Canada prostitution laws struck down Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:15:44 GMT
- The Supreme Court of Canada unanimously strikes down the nation's anti-prostitution laws, giving the government one year to create new legislation.
- S Sudan on precipice, Obama warns Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:57:51 GMT
- Barack Obama warns that South Sudan is on the "precipice" of a civil war, as sectarian clashes intensify and a UN mission is attacked.
- Torture case against UK rejected Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:03:53 GMT
- A tortured Libyan man's bid to sue the British government for allegedly colluding in his rendition cannot be settled in a UK court, the High Court rules.
- EU stands by 'family member' Ukraine Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:15:39 GMT
- EU leaders voice strong support for the protesters in Ukraine, calling the former Soviet state part of the "European family".
- Biggest union ends ANC support Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:27:12 GMT
- South Africa's biggest trade union announces withdrawal of support for the ANC ahead of next year's election - a big blow to the governing party.
- Chile court orders tsunami payout Fri, 20 Dec 2013 05:51:24 GMT
- Chile's Supreme Court has for the first time ordered the state to pay compensation to the relatives of one of the victims of the 2010 tsunami.
- Sisters not guilty of Nigella fraud Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:11:27 GMT
- Nigella Lawson says she is "disappointed but unsurprised" that two sisters who worked as her personal assistants have been cleared of fraud.
- Sacked US general 'drank on trip' Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:14:27 GMT
- The US general in charge of long-range nuclear missiles was fired because he drank too much and met "suspect" women during Russia trip, a report says.
- Blackberry agrees Foxconn tie-up Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:50:51 GMT
- Smartphone maker Blackberry loses $4.4bn as it agrees a five-year deal with Foxconn, the world's largest maker of electronic products and components.
- VIDEO: First conversation with robot in space Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:51:57 GMT
- A Japanese astronaut has held a conversation with the first humanoid robot to enter space.
- O'Neal gets to keep Fawcett portrait Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:55:29 GMT
- A California court decides an Andy Warhol portrait of actress Farrah Fawcett belongs to her former partner, actor Ryan O'Neal.
- VIDEO: Surge in Arab sectarian violence Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:34:09 GMT
- One of the dominant issues to emerge in three years of Arab uprisings across the Middle East has been the divide between Sunni and Shia Muslims.