"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves."
—Claude Adrien Helvetius (1715-71) French philosopher, encyclopedias
- Coalition set for IS talks in Paris Mon, 15 Sep 2014 01:59:56 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry is due to meet foreign ministers from around the world in Paris to discuss how to defeat Islamic State militants.
- Sweden victor says no far-right pact Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:07:03 GMT
- The leader of Sweden's Social Democrats says he is ready to start coalition talks after their election win, but will not work with the far right.
- Brazil builds giant Amazon tower Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:51:04 GMT
- Construction has begun on a giant observation tower in the heart of the Amazon basin in Brazil to monitor climate change.
- N Korea jails US man for six years Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:23:31 GMT
- An American man in North Korea is sentenced to six years of hard labour for "hostile" acts against Pyongyang, state media say.
- Arab states 'offer anti-IS strikes' Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:22:33 GMT
- Several Arab countries offer to take part in air strikes against Islamic State militants if approved by the Iraqi government, US officials say.
- Pope marries cohabiting couples Sun, 14 Sep 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- Pope Francis marries 20 Italian couples at the Vatican, including some who were cohabiting, one of them with a child.
- Uganda seizes 'al-Shabab explosives' Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:04:21 GMT
- Police in Uganda say they have seized explosives during raids on suspected al-Shabab militants who were said to be plotting an attack in the country.
- Merkel speaks out on anti-Semitism Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:25:21 GMT
- Fighting anti-Semitism is every German's duty, German Chancellor Angela Merkel tells a mass rally in Berlin, after growing attacks on Jews.
- Nato members 'send arms to Ukraine' Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:07:35 GMT
- Nato countries have started delivering arms to Ukraine to help its soldiers combat pro-Russian separatists in the east, the defence minister says.
- Salmond and PM hit campaign trail Mon, 15 Sep 2014 01:32:11 GMT
- First Minister Alex Salmond and Prime Minister David Cameron are hitting the Scottish campaign trail ahead of Thursday's independence vote.
- Walking or cycling 'wellbeing boost' Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:58:50 GMT
- Switching from driving a car to walking or cycling to work improves the wellbeing of commuters, a study suggests.
- Imitation Game wins Toronto top prize Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:35:53 GMT
- Alan Turing biopic The Imitation Game wins the People’s Choice award at the Toronto Film Festival.
- VIDEO: Bollywood Bard: Hamlet with a twist Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:01:48 GMT
- Director Vishal Bhardwaj's new film Haider gives William Shakespeare's Hamlet a Bollywood twist.
- VIDEO: Syrians 'traumatised' by IS fears Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:07:35 GMT
- Jeremy Bowen reports on how Syrians are "traumatised" by fears of Islamic State fighters.
- VIDEO: What is Alibaba? In 60 seconds Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:00:56 GMT
- Your 60-second primer on Alibaba, the Chinese e-commerce giant set to float on the New York Stock Exchange in one of the biggest technology listings ever.