- UN call to 'prevent Iraq massacre' Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:06:56 GMT
- A UN envoy calls for action to prevent what he says may be the possible massacre of Iraqis in the town of Amerli, besieged by Islamic State.
- Iceland issues volcano red alert Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:06:22 GMT
- Iceland issues a red alert for the Bardarbunga volcano, closing air space over the eruption site but all airports currently remain open.
- Russian aid convoy leaves Ukraine Sat, 23 Aug 2014 14:34:39 GMT
- Lorries from an unauthorised Russian aid convoy cross back from rebel-held east Ukraine as German Chancellor Angela Merkel holds talks in Kiev.
- Abbas and Egypt urge new Gaza talks Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:56:39 GMT
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas joins Egypt to call on Israel and Hamas to launch fresh talks in Cairo, days after a previous truce collapsed.
- Ivorian land border shut over Ebola Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:45:44 GMT
- Ivory Coast becomes the latest African country to close land borders to prevent the spread of the deadly Ebola virus on to its territory.
- Galileo satellites on wrong orbit Sat, 23 Aug 2014 08:56:12 GMT
- The European Space Agency says the latest two satellites for Europe's version of the US GPS sat-nav system have not gone into the correct orbit.
- Migrant boat sinks off Libyan coast Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:25:52 GMT
- Dozens of people are thought to have drowned after a boat loaded with at least 170 migrants sank off the coast of Libya.
- May pledges new anti-extremist powers Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:24:06 GMT
- New measures to fight extremist groups are being looked at by the government, the home secretary says, as she defends its counter-terrorism strategy.
- China film festival shut down Sat, 23 Aug 2014 14:58:00 GMT
- The Chinese authorities shut down an independent film festival, which had suffered disruption in the past, on its opening day.
- 'Dozens killed' in CAR mine collapse Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:14:44 GMT
- At least 25 people have died in the collapse of a rebel-held gold mine in the southern Central African Republic, officials say.
- MH370 search faces tough next phase Sat, 23 Aug 2014 07:01:08 GMT
- The next part of the hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet MH370 will be very challenging in places, sea-floor mapping data suggests.
- Albert Reynolds' body lies in repose Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:49:01 GMT
- The body of the former Irish prime minister Albert Reynolds is lying in repose in Dublin ahead of his funeral on Monday.
- VIDEO: SpaceX rocket explodes during testing Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:52:12 GMT
- A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket exploded shortly after lift-off on Friday at the company's site in McGregor, Texas.
- AUDIO: How well does comedy travel? Sat, 23 Aug 2014 09:47:39 GMT
- How well does stand up comedy travel outside the US and UK?
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:49:42 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.