- Thousands gather for Mandela service Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:50:49 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people join world leaders at a memorial service for former South African President Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg.
- Thai PM rejects resignation call Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:22:11 GMT
- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra rejects protesters' demands that she resign before February's snap elections.
- Ukraine presidents to discuss crisis Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:10:38 GMT
- Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych is expected to hold talks with three former presidents, as pro-EU protesters remain encamped in central Kiev.
- US and UK 'spy on virtual games' Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:54:54 GMT
- US and British spies infiltrated online fantasy games in an effort to identify terrorist threats, according to media reports.
- US urges China to release Liu Xiaobo Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:46:01 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry urges China to release Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo, five years after the activist was detained.
- Bogota mayor banned from office Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:21:17 GMT
- The mayor of the Colombian capital, Bogota, is sacked by the country's prosecutor general's office and banned from politics for 15 years.
- Deal could 'refill' drying Dead Sea Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:47:06 GMT
- Israel, Jordan and the Palestinian Authority sign a water co-operation pact aimed at one day replenishing the rapidly drying Dead Sea.
- Brazilian ex-president 'murdered' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:07:36 GMT
- An investigative commission in Brazil says it has found evidence that the ex-president Juscelino Kubitschek was murdered by the 1970s military regime.
- US Senate votes to ban plastic guns Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:47:58 GMT
- The US Senate approves a 10-year extension of a ban on all-plastic guns but rejects tougher restrictions called for by gun-control advocates.
- McKellen 'urged not to go to Russia' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:11:47 GMT
- Sir Ian McKellen tells the Radio Times he has been advised not to go to Russia by the Foreign Office because of the country's homosexuality laws.
- Google lets users create Street View Tue, 10 Dec 2013 02:29:35 GMT
- Google unveils a new tool that allows users to create a Street View - a 360 degree virtual tour - of any place and share it using Google Maps.
- Coldest spot on Earth identified Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:07:50 GMT
- The coldest place on Earth is measured by satellite to be a bitter minus 93.2 Celsius (-135.8F) in the heart of Antarctica.
- Medieval Latin dictionary completed Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:21:26 GMT
- The final part of an epic dictionary of medieval Latin is to be published this week, bringing to a close a project initiated one hundred years ago.
- VIDEO: Syria fighter: 'We are all al-Qaeda' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:28:35 GMT
- A 25-year-old man from France talks about being part of the biggest brigade of foreign jihadists fighting in Syria, and why he left them.
- VIDEO: Ukraine police try to regain control Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:03:26 GMT
- Ukrainian police have begun moving against protesters in central Kiev, with some protest camps in front of government buildings dismantled. The BBC's Steve Rosenberg reports from the protest camps.