- Scottish independence: Decision day Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:43:45 GMT
- People in Scotland will vote later on whether the country should stay in the UK or become an independent nation.
- Australia launches anti-terror raids Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:34:17 GMT
- Australian police make 15 arrests in Sydney and Brisbane in what they say is the biggest counter-terrorism operation in the country's history.
- US House approves Obama Syria plan Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:47:05 GMT
- The US House of Representatives approves President Barack Obama's plan to train and arm the moderate Syrian opposition taking on Islamic State.
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has cancer Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:14:02 GMT
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has been diagnosed with a "fairly aggressive" rare cancer, doctors treating him say.
- NFL rocked by new violence arrest Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:15:12 GMT
- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer is arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, police say, the latest such incident to rock the NFL.
- Muslim call for release of hostage Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:30:16 GMT
- British Muslim leaders call for the immediate release of Alan Henning, the UK hostage threatened with death by Islamic State extremists in Syria.
- Ebola can 'ruin W Africa economies' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:38:39 GMT
- The Ebola outbreak could have a catastrophic economic impact on three West African countries, the World Bank says.
- US Fed to end stimulus in October Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:38:42 GMT
- The US Federal Reserve says it will raise interest rates once a "considerable time" has passed after its stimulus programme ends in October.
- Argentina tries 'baby theft' doctors Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:06:44 GMT
- Medical staff go on trial in Argentina charged with kidnapping babies born in captivity to left-wing prisoners during military rule.
- Nigeria college attacked by gunmen Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:33:14 GMT
- Gunmen attack a teacher training college in the northern Nigerian city of Kano, with officials saying at least 15 people have been killed.
- Ukraine to vet one million officials Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:32:52 GMT
- Ukraine will screen one million civil servants to root out corrupt practices, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk says.
- Hiroshima artworks to go on show Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:24:20 GMT
- Powerful and disturbing paintings by survivors of the 1945 atomic bomb in Hiroshima are to go on show outside Japan for the first time.
- VIDEO: Somali PM: 'Al-Shabab amnesty working' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:06:51 GMT
- Somalia's prime minister says members of the Somali militant Islamist group al-Shabab are responding to a government amnesty and have defected from the organisation.
- VIDEO: War ammo found in residential garage Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:05:42 GMT
- Munitions and other artefacts from World War One and World War Two have been found during a raid on a residential garage in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
- VIDEO: Politician recovering after bin stunt Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:10:43 GMT
- A politician has told Ukrainian TV he needs to recover "morally, physically and psychologically" after being dumped in a rubbish bin.