Patron Code of Conduct
Town of Vail Public Library
Code of Conduct
The Town of Vail Public Library strives to provide a safe, comfortable and welcoming environment for our customers. We offer open and respectful access for all while reserving the right to enforce reasonable rules and guidelines to this end. In addition to all applicable federal, state and local laws, the following are intended to guide library users in their conduct at the Town of Vail Public Library:
• Children under eleven years of age must be accompanied by a guardian or caretaker who is at least sixteen years of age.
• Cell phones should be silenced or set to vibrate. In consideration of others, calls are to be taken outside the building, in the Galleria, or in the Social Networking area at the rear of the library.
•Food and/or beverages are not permitted in the library. Refreshments are only allowed in the Community Room, in the Galleria or at Library‐sponsored events.
• Smoking or intoxication is not permitted on library property.
• Animals are not permitted in the library with the exception of 'service dogs' which must be on a leash at all times and be clearly identified as being a service animal.
• The library prohibits creation of any public disturbance including the use of obscene language; deviant, threatening, harassing or abusive behavior, whether in general or directed at any specific person or persons; or, offensive smells or sounds that constitute a nuisance.
• Gambling, solicitation or sleeping is not permitted on library property. Napping in an upright position is considered acceptable.
• Theft, damage, alteration or destruction of library property is a crime and will be prosecuted.
• Personal belongings are limited to two shopping bags or the equivalent and may not be left unattended.
• Skis, snowboards and other athletic equipment are not permitted in the library.
• A shirt and shoes must be worn at all times while in the library.
• Washing clothes or bathing is not permitted in the library’s restrooms.
• Possession of weapons, including firearms and knives, is prohibited except by legal permit.
Members of the library staff will enforce this policy. Persons unable or unwilling to cease unacceptable conduct will be asked to leave. Law enforcement may be notified. The library reserves the right to restrict access to persons who do not comply with the above expectations and who refuse to cooperate with library personnel.